Friday 1 March 2013

Friday's Makes, Bakes & Learns #18


This is one of my favourite soups -

Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Soup

1tbs olive oil
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 1/2lbs sweet potato peeled and diced
veg stock/water - enough to cover the veg in the pot
sprigs fresh thyme (which I got at the veggie plot)
2 pointy sweet peppers
2 tbs lemon juice
Cayenne Pepper, Salt & Pepper to taste




Put the peppers under the grill to blister and blacken the skin.  When done put in a plastic bag to cool and once cool enough to handle peel the skin off, de-seed and chop.



Heat the oil in a pan add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or so until the onion is soft.  Add the diced sweet potato (this doesn't have to be small as the soup will be blended once cooked).  Add the stock/water and thyme.

Bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or so until the potatoes are tender.  Add the peppers.  Discard the thyme and zap with a hand blender or processor and blend until smooth.  You may find you need to add a bit more water.  Add the lemon, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.  Yum.




Seeing as it was payday yesterday I picked myself up some beautiful flowers from  The Wild Flower Shop - they are gorgeous! Just lovely for Spring.


18 comments:

  1. This looks delicious - I'd love a bowl of this right about now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely amazing colour too :-) love the flowers so beautiful xx
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this soup last weekend and really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup sounds absolutely lovely and yummy, definitely would love to try the recipe! I'm a bit of a soup addict when the weather's cold :p x

    www.bowtiedbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Although the lemon gives it a lighter touch :) x

      Delete
  5. This looks delicious, I love making my own soup xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)I keep meaning to take soup to work but never manage too x

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious, the flowers are lovely too. I am addicted to roasted sweet pototoes but haven't tried them in soup yet. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love baked sweet potatoes so yummy x

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious! Love the idea of roasting the pepper first. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its yummy. You can also use roasted pepper in salads/antipasto x

      Delete
  8. I love this little feature on your blog! The soup looks amazing!!

    I've started a new feature on my blog today called "My Top Five..." where I'm picking my five favourite nail polishes in each colour over the next couple of weeks! I'm starting with blue...

    http://missstephanieusher.blogspot.co.uk/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really easy to make too - thank you x

      Delete
  9. mmmm looks so yummy!! i love sweet potatoes and red peppers!!

    redvinesandginger.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete