Monday 9 March 2020

Beauty Shortlist Awards 2020: My top picks

I was over-the-moon and then some when Fiona at The Beauty Shortlist asked me to be a judge again this year for The Beauty Shortlist Awards. This year, is the 10th Anniversary of the Awards which now include Wellbeing products (this was introduced last year). You can see my top picks from 2019 HERE and 2018 HERE.

Today I'll be sharing with you my top picks from the products I judged (the winners were announced a week ago today (see HERE) - Winners, Finalists, Editor's Choice and Commended (From browsing the winners I've discovered there are lots of interesting brands out there, which I've never heard of before and I've bookmarked them to look at later).



I absolutely adored Desavery - the products really made my heart sing and such gorgeous packaging. STELLAR Daily Serum was my absolute favourite. I loved its life affirming bergamot scent - I've just finished this and want to cry! An amazing product which I'm replenishing next pay day! Stellar won a Commended AwardSMOOTH Hyaluronic Acid with Clary Sage & Bergamot was a Finalist for Best Aromatherapy Product and SWEET Mood Remedy, a Finalist award for Best Aromatherapy Product - Self Care/Mood. It really does make you feel better and smile if you are feeling grumpy/down. Absolutely one of the best brands I've tried all year. 



I was so thrilled to see Five Dot Botanics scoop awards for the whole range. I first tried this beautiful brand last year and you can see my review of Editor's Choice Winner Deep Feed Nourishing Facial Serum HERE. Daily Prep Protecting Face OilFull Bright Renewal Eye Serum and Pure Rewind Restorative Mask received Editor's Choice Awards while their Brighten Up Balancing Mist received a Finalist Award in the new category of Best Face Mist. I'm planning to review the range on the blog so look out for that post!



I loved everything about Mawena's exquisite Rose Papaya Gel Balm Glowing Cleanser which won a Best Cleansing Gel Award. I adored the simple but special packaging and the product was an absolute delight. 

A Florence Skincare's Balm-to-Milk Cleanser+Make Up Remover didn't win an award this year but as I loved it so much I felt it had to feature in my top picks. 



Scandinavian Eleni & Chris was a total new to me brand and I loved their Cleansing Oil which was a Finalist in Best Cleansing Oils. This is my to-go-to for my evening cleanse. I also loved their Chromin ColorPro Shampoo & Conditioner which won Best Shampoo & Conditioner for Colour Treated Hair.


I'm already a huge fan of Oskia so I was delighted to see them pick up so many awards. I was very happy to try their Renaissance Mask again which picked up Best Face Mask - All Skin Types (I reviewed it way back in 2012 - see HERE). I really enjoyed trying new to me products - Retinol Sleep Serum Level 2 which won Best Retinol Serum and Liquid Mask Lactic Acid Micro Peel, which won Best Face Mask. Another old fav Eye Wonder Nutri-Active Eye Serum won Best Eye Serum.


I loved easy to take (and a company that gives back) Together Health which won Best Health Brand and Best Give Back Brand. They also received Wellbeing Editor's Choice Awards and their Gentle Iron Complex with B Vitamins was a finalist in Best Iron Supplements. It's a brand I'll definitely pick up.


Elemental Herbology won Best UK Natural Brand. I loved their Body Essentials Hand Nutrition which won Best Intensive Therapy Hand Nutrition. I also really rated their effective and luxurious Age Support Bio Cellular Matrix which won Best Facial Serum.

Dr Lipp's The Lip Expert Colour Tints - 3 shades won Best Tinted Lip Balm. They are the perfect size to pop in your pocket for a pop of colour and moisture on the go. Lamia biocosmetica, a new to me brand won a Finalist Award in the Best Cleansing Gel category for their Oleogel Facial Cleanser. This came beautifully presented in an eco-friendly box with a small cloth.

I discovered Danish brand, Ecooking last year as a Latest in Beauty pick I was thrilled to bits to see them pick up a range of awards - so well deserved. Their easy to use Self-Tanning Drops won Best Self-Tanner (drops). I also fell head-over-heels for their best selling and now Best Foot Cream winner for their Overnight Foot Cream - which smells incredible and is really, really effective - you honestly wake up with soft and smooth feet!

New to me brand Flow Cosmetics is simply amazing! I squealed a lot when I spotted this new to me brand inside one of my boxes - I love its simple but gorgeous packaging. I loved their Hyaluron & Probiotics Deep Moisture Serum which picked up a Finalist Awards in the Best Probiotic Based Serum Category. A review will follow for this, it's seriously lush!

Omorovicza's very special Queen of Hungary Mist won Best Face Mist I love the super fine mist which takes toning/refreshing the skin to another level. Any excuse to pop in Desavery again! This duo picked up Finalist Award - you can see my comments on them further up the page. I really enjoyed trying Bea Skincare's Solar Defence SPF50 Spray which picked up a Finalist Award in Best SPF - Face.


 Picking up Editor's Choice Awards were: the lovely and effective Bee Good for their Honey & Propolis 2-in-1 Cleanser which makes short work of make up and daily grime and smells amazing. From Institut Esthederm I thought both their Excellage Contour des Yeux and Intensive Hyaluronic Serum were fantastic (it's a brand I've always heard about but never got round to trying). Lovely Kiss the Moon won a host of awards - I'm already a huge fan of this luxurious brand. Their GLOW After Dark Face Polish is a decadent treat!

German, Janssen Cosmetics (another new to me brand) I enjoyed their effective Detox Cream.  I also really liked trying Vitamin Infusion Vitamin A Night Shift Repair Cream. Reviews to come!

I absolutely loved Face Matters Face Food Serum (although I thought the packaging was a bit basic for the price point). The lemon scented oil was an absolute delight. It was also good to see Ecooking pick up more awards for their Moisturizing Mask24 hr Cream and Super Serum.

Eleni & Chris's Anti-Aging Eye Gel was nice to use with a gel like texture. I also loved Elemental Herbology's Water Soothe Face Oil.


Editor's Choice - GLOW After Dark Face Polish
Editor's Choice - DREAM After Dark Face Bath Oil
Finalist - Best Artisan Soap - GLOW Pure Essential Oil (REVIEW)
I personally adored CALM After Dark Face Oil (REVIEW)


Onto Commended Awards:


My fav Desavery strikes again! I fell head-over-heels for their STELLAR Daily Serum! I also really rated quirky Happy Carrot Skincare enjoying both the products they submitted. Their Terrific Tomato Facial Oil was very effective and nice to use. I loved Forever's balancing toner (I liked the blue/teal coloured packaging too). This Ecooking Body Lotion was one of my favourite things! It absorbed quickly and had the "Ecooking scent" which I've grown to adore!

I enjoyed trying new-to-me brand Enphasis and really rated their Decollete & Neck Firming Cream. I'd tried lovely Elm Road before (REVIEW) so was delighted to see them scoop two awards including a Commended for their Happiness Natural Essential Oil Aroma Mist and a Wellness Editor's Choice Award for the simply exquisite Happiness Wooden Wick Candle.


candle before it was lit

From Flow Cosmetics I fell head-over-heels for their Touch of Love Heart Chakra Aromatherapy Body Butter. Such a gorgeous product. My final pick in the Commended Awards is Bee Pure's (formerly The Urban Smallholders) luscious Honeybee Lip Balm which is presented in a recylable/compostable cardboard tube. See my review (HERE).  



City Survivor's Immune Support scooped Best Supplement. I found the tablets easy to take. They're perfect to use over the winter period to ward of seasonal coughs and cold and also for daily support or when travelling. I definitely want to explore this brand more.



Samaya Ayurvedic Skincare won Best Ayurvedic Brand which is very well deserved. I'm a huge fan of this luxurious brand and the Kapha range is ideal for me. The won a whole host of awards which are very well deserved. Their Kapha Anti-Ageing Cream, Anti-Ageing Treatment Oil, Hydrating Cleanser and Renewing Exfoliant won Editor's Choice Awards (I've been lucky enough to try products in the range before - see my reviews HERE and HERE.



I absolutely loved Shui Me's Aromatherapy Reed Diffusers in RELAX and UPLIFT which won Wellbeing Editor's Choice Awards. I loved how cleverly an extra set of wooden wicks is included so you can swap them half way through. I was really impressed with these lovely diffusers and I'd definitely buy (easily last 6 months or more).



I'm always a wee bit feart of acids and retinols but I was pleasantly surprised with these gentle but very effective award winners from Murad Skin Care. Their Replenishing Multi-Acid Peel won Best New Skincare Launch 19/20, they also picked up Best Night Skin Product 40+ for their Retinol Youth Renewal Night Cream. Their Retinol Youth Renewal Serum scooped Best Serum 60+ & Best Age Delay Serum.

If you've read this far, well done! It really was a bumper year. Check out the full list of Award Winners HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment