Sunday 22 December 2019

Ffern: Organic Small Batch Perfume: Winter 2020

 Ffern Organic Small Batch Perfume had been on my radar for a while. I met Natalie Fergie, a friend and author of the un-put-downable The Sewing Machine (if you haven't read it, you must) for a coffee and she brought me the '19 line up of Spring, Summer and Autumn and after I tried them all I knew I had to sign up for a spot on the waiting list to join the Ledger for Winter '20 (you join the waiting list by leaving your mobile number and when a space becomes available you'll receive an SMS, with a link to sign up).



My Winter 2020 perfume arrived yesterday just in time for the Winter Solstice which falls today - it astronomically marks the beginning of lengthening days and shortening nights. Each quarter costs £69 for a 32ml bottle of vegan, natural and unisex EdP.

The packaging has been altered to make everything more eco friendly and recyclable (as I wasn't on the ledger before I was suitably impressed with the packaging, although I found getting the main bottle out of the cardboard packaging a bit of a struggle). I also loved that the package slipped straight through my letterbox - so no need to be in to receive!



Every box comes with a very generous 2ml sample size. Try the sample and if you love it you can open the 32ml bottle, if you don't Ffern will give you a free returnable label which when they receive the full size bottle back will either refund you or put it towards the next season's bottle.





Also inside is a little pack of information cards - Ffern's story, their process and about the ingredients in the formulation for Winter 2020 (along with Organic Wheatgrain alcohol and water). The perfume is twice aged and bottled in Devon.


"In 1884, a maverick French chemist called Joseph Robert discovered a way to extract 100% pure fragrance oils from plants and in doing so transformed perfumery. With Robert's discovery, a new breed of master 'noses' emerged, capable of bottling nature's most brilliant ideas".  Ffern's vision is to "restore perfumery to it's natural roots" (by passing industry giants). "Noses", Francois; 4th generation master perfumer and Joseph's great grandson and Elodie Durande; Francois' protege and heir to the Robert secrets".



I personally love the simplicity of the packaging and have no problems shoving the whole thing packaging and all in my handbag (I currently do this for some of my smaller bottles anyhow). Attention to detail is everything - I don't think I've ever owned a perfume which has it's own unique bottle number and the name of the noses, for instance!


Tight control is kept of the production ledger. On the ledger is a list of names and batch volume is based on who is on that list which makes it niche, artisan and authentic.




Notes in Winter 2020: top notes of Bergamot & Lemon rind which bring an instant bright and citrus note to the scent along with Peppermint & Rosemary which bring cool and refreshing notes, with top/mid notes of spicy nutmeg, sweet patchouli, black pepper, balsam fir, juniper and clove with base notes of tarragon, cinnamon, resin, guaiacwood, vetiver and oakmoss. 

It really is a stunning aromatic blend which starts off really fresh and fruity before mellowing to soft woody notes. It contains notes which I currently really enjoy and which I think makes it perfect for winter.


Are you on the Ledger? If so, what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment