Sunday 30 June 2013

June Books

Here's what I've been reading in June -

Tideline by Penny Hancock follows the story of Sonia, a wife and mother.  One afternoon she opens her door to Jez, a fifteen year old who is a nephew of her friend and who wants to borrow some music.  Sonia decides she's going to hold him against his will in her house.  She becomes obsessed with Jez and wants to keep him safe within her home - The River House - on the Thames which was where she grew up which holds memories of her childhood and her first love. A real spooky read. 




My second book is Alice Bliss by Laura Harrington. This story is told through 14 year old Alice's eyes.  Her father goes off to war and she finds herself having to grow up overnight.  Alice finds herself lost without her father - they did a lot together and she is determined to keep the veggie plot flourishing and do other things her dad did.  When he is reported missing in action the family have to face up to the fact that he may never return.  A gem of a book and a coming of age for Alice.




My third book is Dear Lupin...Letters to a Wayward Son - an absolute fab book. Roger Mortimer wrote letters to his son Charlie when at school and beyond. Funny, entertaining and heart warming the correspondence spanned nearly 25 years. With interesting stories and characters as well highlighting every scrape Charlie got himself into (there are many).  Really unique and a great read! Next on my list is Dear Lumpy letters Roger wrote to Charlie's sister Louise.



What have you been reading this month?

6 comments:

  1. Oh some interesting reads Hun... I've just finished Sing you Home by Jodi Picoult, fab book xx

    http://beautyqueenuk.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some interesting reads, I've really slacking at the moment with reading I'm always distracted by blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed them. Know what you mean sometimes hard to fit book reading in ;) x

      Delete
  3. Tideline looks like a good read. I've been slacking on the reading front recently, but I am currently reading 'Another Man's Treasure' A mystery/suspense novel. It's not a bad read and I will review it once finished but I'm really looking forward to getting into Kate Morton's latest book which I picked up last week! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really spooky do recommend it! I believe she has another book out in August - have to add it to the wishlist x

      Delete