Friday 1 October 2021

September Book Round-Up

If I book is marked * I very kindly received it from the publisher via Netgalley or directly. Here's my September reads: 

*Lying Ways DI Kelly Porter #9 by Rachel Lynch - which publishes next week! I'll share my review of this fantastic read at the end of the month in my October round-up. I love this series so much!


The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrave - is based on a true story. The story is set in a tiny island village called Vardo in Norway in the 1600s. Twenty year old Maren watches a freak and sudden storm wipe out the village menfolk including her father, brother and her soon to be husband. Once they get over the grief of their losses they band together to fish and farm the land until one day it's decided by the powers that be that they need a male ruler to bring the women to heel.

Scotsman, Absalom Cornet arrives with his young wife Ursa. It's rumoured he burned witches in the Northern isles and believes it was witches who brought on the Vardo tragedy and vows to root them out. Meanwhile, Ursa and Maren form a tentative friendship which blossoms into love.  A beautiful if sometimes harrowing tale which I highly recommend.

*Make Yourself At Home by Ciara GeraghtyMarianne left home after a family tragedy and hasn't been back since. Her perfect life has come crashing down when her hubby left her for someone else. There's nowhere else for her to go but back home to Ancaire, the crumbling house situated by the Irish sea and her larger than life mother Rita, the recovered alcoholic who has taken it upon herself to run a club for those wishing to give up booze called the "Get Well Sooner's".

Marianne feels quite frankly like it's a living hell. She hates being back and misses her pristine home and daily routine. She can't abide the stray dog who seems to want to be by her side. When her mum needs help with the group she finds herself joining in and really living.

I loved the storylines and characters. Filled with friendship, family and with some moments of total heartbreak. So recommend I absolutely loved it.


*The Midwife's Secret by Emily Gunnis - absolutely fantastic read - I loved it. It's not published until near the end of October so I'll again share my review in my October book round-up.

What did you read in September?

No comments:

Post a Comment