Tuesday 31 January 2012

January Books

One of my New Year Resolutions was to read more.  Here are my January books. (I've always found Evelyn at We Were Raised By Wolves a great inspiration - she reads loads of interesting books.  You can read her January Books List post here.)


I'd really enjoyed Chevy Steven's first book Still Missing so was pleased to see she had a new book out - Never knowing.

The book is based on the story of Sara who was adopted as a baby.  She has a daughter, Ally and is due to marry her boyfriend.  She decides to trace her birth parents, partly from curiosity but also for her medical history.  She finds out her father is a serial killer.  The book is written from Sara's perspective and read like sessions with her psychiatrist.  the book has a lot twists, turns and tension.  I quite enjoyed this book.  I give it 6/10.

My second book is, The Thread by Victoria Hislop.

The story starts in Thessalonika, Greece in 1917.  On the same night a fire rages through the City, leaving many people homeless, Dimitri Komnionos is born.  Five years later Katerina Sarafoglou's home in Asia Minor is destroyed by the Turkish Army and she and her mother and sister have to flee.  In the chaos to leave she get separated from her mother and she goes across the sea alone to Greece. The book is the story of Dimitri and Katerina's lives, the city in which they live, their work, the war, persecution and fears.  

In 2007 their Anglo-Greek grandson comes to visit and hears their life story and has to decide if he wants to make Greece his home.  A great read, would highly recommend. A 10/10 book.  I also loved The Island, the author's first book.


My third book is A Gathering Storm by Rachel Hore.  I am a massive Rachel Hore fan and I can highly recommend her other books (The Dream House, The Memory Garden, The Glass Painter's Daughter and A Place of Secrets).

When we meet Beatrice at the start of the book and you are left wondering what her connection is to the story.  Lucy Cardwell's father Tom dies and she finds papers in his belongings of researches into an Uncle Rafe she didn't know he had.

Lucy decides to go to Cornwall to visit the family home, Carlyon Manor which is now a ruin.  She meets a local lady, Beatrice who knew the family well and Beatrice tells Lucy her story...

Fascinating characters, romance, history, war, family, feuds, action, tension and drama, a real page turner.  I loved this book and I also give this a 10/10.


My fourth book, (yes I really am on a roll!) is Londoners by Craig Taylor.  A book I cannot recommend highly enough.  Totally fascinating.  London through the eyes of those who live there.  It makes you laugh, is sad, interesting and thought provoking.  I'd really recommend this book. 10/10




Have you read any of these, if so what are your thoughts?  Have you any suggestions for me of books to read?  

21 comments:

  1. I love book posts! Londoners sounds really good and Never Knowing, gripping. Victoria Hislop has a great reputation. I must check some of these out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you really are on a roll! My resolution was to also read more, so I have dedicated half an hour before I go to sleep, rather than watching tele. So far I am doing well, although still on one book not four lol :D

    Thanks for the tips of these books, may well try some of them

    http://outsidebeautyinsidehealth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I don't think I'll manage so much this month! Cool will look forward to seeing your book posts x

      Delete
  3. I would definitely suggest reading Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson, and The Girl with the Glass Feet by Ali Shaw. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Before I go to Sleep - what a great book! I'll check out your other recommendation though x

      Delete
    2. Oh you have just reminded me that I want to read that book (Before I go to sleep) ive heard nothing but good things about it! Must remember to get it ordered! x

      Delete
  4. Nice!!!
    Coincidentally I've ordered 2 books last week!
    One is about culture in nowadays society and the other one is Sugar and Spice from Lauren Conrad!
    obviously I don't know if they are good but I hope they are hahaha

    Now I am curious to read the last book about London!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh I'll check it out! I'd definitely recommend the London book - esp as I know you lived there! It's a interesting read! x

      Delete
  5. I am very curious about the thread...love your choices. sigh..I haven't had time to read lately; but I will make time,thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thread was so easy to get lost in - great characters and story. I know it's sometimes hard to find time - I went through the whole of December not reading a thing (apart from magazines!) x

      Delete
  6. Really enjoy reading these posts as I am always looking for new books to read. Londoners looks interesting - just downloaded it to my Kindle!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Will be interested to hear what you think of Londoners (and it was so much cheaper for kindle!) x

      Delete
  7. I bought my sister The Thread for xmas and she loved it, will have to borrow it from her after reading your review :)

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been reading Londoners, really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's such an interesting read and some of the stories I still think about x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I've whizzed through most of this over the weekend and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Its a great recommendation that I don't think I would have found had it not been for this post!
      x

      Delete
    2. Glad you've enjoyed it, I found it really easy to read. :) x

      Delete
  10. I loved the Island - I've been to the leper colony Spinalonga when on holiday in Crete so it was wonderful to read the book and be able to associate it with the place. Her other books are equally as good! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I think it was her best book though I did love this one too. That must have been really interesting going to the leper colony. x

      Delete