Friday 12 October 2012

Friday Makes, Bakes & Learns #1

As I work part-time I get every Friday off (I know I'm really lucky!)  I tend to end up lazing about or blogging/catching up with blogs, tweeting and generally  trying to get out of doing housework/going supermarket shopping etc.  So I've decided to make or bake something every Friday and share it with you.

One of my favourite books is How to Drink by Victoria Moore - its super informative and a great read!  (You can see my copy is well  thumbed!)


My current favourite cocktail is the Negroni - one third red vermouth, one third Campari and one third gin with a slice of orange served on the rocks - pour each ingredient into the glass separately over the ice and stir.  One legend says it was invented in the early twentieth century and named after Count Camillo Negroni who used to drink it at the Casoni Bar on Via Tornabuoni in Florence.

We were out for dinner last night and stopped for a quick drink at Bond No.9 beforehand.  Guess what I was drinking..


Negroni is also very easy to make at home.  I like to serve it just before dinner (its potent!) with Kalamata olives and sweet & spicy nuts.

The nut recipe is from Good Food magazine (I normally half the quantities)

1tbs sunflower oil
1 tsp ground cinamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
400g mixed nuts
2 tbsp honey

Heat oven to 140C/120C fan/G1
Mix the oil with the spices then stir in the nuts and drizzle over half the honey
Spread on a baking sheet and cook for 10mins
Remove from the oven and drizzle over the remaining honey then return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.  Allow to cool

It is also suggested that these would make a good gift packed into jars or cellophane bags tied with ribbon.  The nuts will keep for up to 2 months.



5 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm I do love a nice cocktail! Also what a great idea to do something new each Friday, I look forward to your posts :) x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank you! I've got some nice recipes to come x

      Delete
  2. You know I can't bake but I bet I could make one of these LOL!

    Jo
    x

    http://jo-beautyandthebooks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the negroni too!! looking forward for more recipes and tips from the book :) xx

    ReplyDelete